A Gift in your Will
A lasting gift of support
This week is Remember a Charity Week. This annual event promotes legacy gifts to charities and reminds people how they can remember a charity in their Will.
As a charity, we rely on donations to continue our support of people affected by cancer. Unlike many other charities, we do not receive many legacy gifts, so this year we are going to promote legacy giving to our supporters to help us ensure that we can continue to help local people for generations to come.
We know that one in two people are expected to develop cancer at some point in their lives. The incidence of cancer is increasing, and cancer is the leading cause of death in our local area. We also know that more people are surviving cancer and need different kinds of information and support to face the challenges in their life after cancer.
More and more people affected by cancer (either as a patient, carer or bereaved) are registering with The Mulberry Centre. This trend is likely to continue in the future. We need to continue to provide information and support to a greater number of clients. Without support from the local community, we will not be able to continue our much-needed services.
Have you considered leaving a gift in your Will to The Mulberry Centre?
Imagine a world without The Mulberry Centre. There would be no support and information locally for people affected by cancer. No free support to help people feel in control, no information to help people make the right decisions, and no activities or services to enhance people’s physical, psychological and emotional wellbeing. No lifeline when cancer comes crashing into their lives.
Once you have ensured that the people closest to you have been provided for, please consider The Mulberry Centre in your Will. Your donation would make a huge difference to our charity.
Why make a Will?
• A Will makes it much easier for your family and friends to sort everything out when you die – without a Will the process can be more time consuming and stressful.
• If you don’t write a Will, everything you own will be shared out in a standard way defined by law – which isn’t always the way you want.
• A Will can help reduce the amount of Inheritance Tax that might be payable on the value of property and money you leave behind.
• Writing a Will is especially important if you have children or other family who depend on you financially, or if you want to leave something to people outside your immediate family.
• We would recommend that your Will is drafted by a qualified solicitor.
If you already have a Will, and you feel would like to add The Mulberry Centre to your Will (or any other charity), your solicitor can help you to add a form called a Codicil to your existing will.
Cora Philips, one of our regular volunteers explains why she is leaving The Mulberry Centre a gift in her Will
“I have volunteered as a Welcomer for The Mulberry Centre since 2005. Over the years, I have seen first-hand how The Mulberry Centre has made such a difference to so many people affected by cancer.
The charity has grown from strength to strength and I would like it to continue for as long as possible. This is the reason I have decided to leave a gift in my Will to The Mulberry Centre.
With all the wonderful work they do, I am very happy to be able to contribute in my own little way and hope others will be encouraged to do the same.”
Our promise to you
If you do choose to remember The Mulberry Centre in your Will, you can rest assured that we will make the most of your gift and respect your wishes.
1. We know and respect that your Will is a private and a personal matter. You don’t need to tell us how much you are leaving to us, or even that you are planning to leave anything to us at all.
2. We know that those closest to you will likely come first. Leaving as little as 5% to The Mulberry Centre means you can take care of your family and perform an act of kindness which can have an impact for generations to come.
3. When administrating the gift, we will not pass your details on to anyone else without your prior and explicit permission and we will show your loved ones compassion, integrity and honesty in our legacy administration.
4. You can come to us at any time to discuss your Will and we can signpost you to a solicitor who can support you.
5. Your gift is in safe hands. We will look after every gift, large or small, to ensure it is spent where it will have the greatest impact for people affected by cancer.
Please do not hesitate contacting The Mulberry Centre team on 020 8321 6300 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to discuss leaving The Mulberry Centre a gift in your Will.